SkySpark is used to manage data for the Internet of Things: the explosion of networked smart devices which sense and control the world around us. SkySpark is designed to manage your devices, assets, and the data they collect for analysis and visualization.
There are three main subsystems of SkySpark:
- Folio: customized database built from the ground up to organize device and time-series data
- Fresco: the web-based visualization framework used to navigate and present analytics data
- Axon: a custom programming language used to query and write analytic rules
How It Fits Together
The following diagram illustrates how these subsystems fit together:
The skyspark executable launches the SkySpark server daemon. The server is bundled with a web server which opens a HTTP port. Web requests to the REST API can be used to query the SkySpark database and execute analytic queries. The server also publishes the data for human consumption via a set of Fresco web pages. Extensions running in-process can be used to synchronize data with external databases or web services.
The core of SkySpark is application domain agnostic. You can use it to build any type of application which stores, analyzes, and visualizes data. The real power of SkySpark is the ability to extend the core platform with new functionality via extensions.
Extensions are Fantom pods which extend the platform with customized:
- Axon function libraries
- Tag libraries
- Fresco apps
SkySpark ships with "batteries included" - a rich library of horizontal and vertical extensions. Here are a couple of the most important ones:
- hisExt: the time-series historian is implemented as standard extension
- jobExt: used to schedule long-running back tasks such as synchronization scripts
- sparkExt: analytics engine designed run a set of rules to mine operational data
- equipExt: used to define the core tag library for modeling sites, equipment, and points; it serves as the foundation for vertically oriented extensions such as HVAC and energy
- energyExt: the standard tag/Axon library for analyzing the efficiency of energy usage
- hvacExt: the standard tag/Axon and Axon functions for analyzing the operation of heating, ventilation, and A/C equipment
In addition to the extensions which are included in with SkySpark, you can write your own custom extensions.